Tuesday, April 6, 2010

Explaining Myself

I'm not sure what to write about at the moment, but it has been a few days and I can tell my blog fans are starting to grow mad with anticipation.

I feel it's high time to exploit the banner phrase of this blog: "Literacy is Key".

I saw that written once on a pamphlet I found at school, and I realized, being the sensitive Nancy I am about such things, that I had very mixed emotions about it. The pamphlet went on to talk about the importance of improving one's literacy through dedication and those other "Succeed" words. And this all lead to an idea I had acquired from browsing a Nietzsche work--something about how dangerous literacy was; how when everybody's given a chance at literacy, the world becomes more and more bogged down by a perennial "fungus". This "fungus" being bullshit, fluff, immaterial writing, does more to screen or hide away the important literature, the words meant to change human perspective and foment progression than those Nazi book burning bashes.



Now we can thank blogs for this accrual of fungus and continue writing fractals of insignificance...so is it key? Supposedly, according to the Summer Institute of Linguistics, Inc., 1 billion adults in this world are illiterate. That's 26 % percent of the world's population. Something's wrong.

In regards to my previous entry, Good Friday, as it turned out, is the busiest day of the year for Gino's and I had very little rest that day. I remember cutting four pies, boxing them, taking a minute break and cutting four more pies. No rest for the right wrist. We had all ovens going that day. We prepared bag upon bag of garlic knots. I treated myself to a zeppole and I asked a lady if I had any sugar on my face as she was handing me cash, and she looked at me, bug-eyed and asked if I was playing a joke on her.

Bobby was there on Friday.



I took this picture while Bobby was talking to me. I even had the timer on the camera so there was a little orange light flashing all the while. Here he is, hovering over the grandmas and grandpas, probably emphasizing a point about war or the god-damned bible.

And here's a woman every employee at the pizzeria loathes:



It has nothing to do with her corpulence but it seemingly has everything to do with
it as well. I positioned my camera right on top of the cash register for this shot. I've nicknamed her 'Mama-bird' for her strange eating habit and I also would've taken a video of her picking at her cheese calzone and regurgitating bits of ricotta onto her aluminum sheet, but I might have been caught.

The pizzeria employees don't like her because she continually accuses Gino's of over-charging her when she eats more than she can presumably account for. If I can remember correctly: one roni slice, one calzone, one chicken hero, and one pepsi, all cooked to a crisp, except for the pepsi.